Saturday, February 8, 2014

Hellllloooooo New York!

This year on Christmas, after the kids opened all of their gifts, Josh and I exchanged our presents.  He opened up a robe to help keep him warm on the trips out to the hot tub in the cold weather and a cigar holder.  He seemed very happy with this gifts, and I was very proud of myself.

And then it was my turn.  I opened up my gifts and I saw some tickets to see Wicked. I thought to myself how nice it was that Josh remembered that I wanted to see that the last time they were in town.  And then I opened them up to see where they were playing at.  Would they be at the Fox Theatre or some place different.  Then I read "Gershwin Theatre".  Hummmm I have never even heard of this place.... where could it be at?  Oh, oh, I see it now.... New York City!  I looked up at Josh, half excited and half confused.  This couldn't be true, I must be missing something.  But no, I wasn't!  Josh had planned a vacation for he and I to New York City.

After obsessing over the trip for 3 1/2 weeks, and planning out every single day, we dropped the boys off to spend some quality time with each of their grandparents and headed out.  We were both a little nervous that our plane wouldn't leave on time because New York had gotten 12 inches of snow the day before.  Luckily out flight was the first out after the storm and we were able to run along on schedule.  However, when we landed we saw almost no snow.  Where does it all go?!?!?!

Our hotel was right in Times Square and the New Years Eve ball was right out our window.  Also, if you looked really hard you could even see the Statue of Liberty.


On Thursday we walked around Rockefeller Center and then went up to the Top of the Rock.  We went up their just before dusk so we were able to see the city in the daylight as well as all lit up.  Everything looked just like I had always imagined!





Because it was so cold we ended up walking around Rockefeller Center inside as much as possible, and we ended up walking out right in front of the statue that is seen on 30 Rock.

Across the street was St. Patrick's Cathedral. The church was absolutely beautiful, but unfortunately for us, it was undergoing a restoration so much of the building was covered by scaffolding.  


Our next stop was dinner and then ice skating in Rockefeller Plaza.  This has always been something that I wanted to do, and was the whole reason we went to the city when it was so cold!  Because we went on a weekday night after the Christmas tree was down it wasn't very busy and was easy to skate around.  And thankfully we were both able to ice skate better than we expected after all of this time.


On Thursday morning we headed over to the Today Show to peak in the windows!  It was worth the trip because we ended up on TV!  It was really cool to see inside the studio of something I watch on TV all of the time.  It was so cold out that day, and later in the morning, so we didn't get a chance to see any of the hosts outside.


Our next stop was to walk through Central Park.  It was super cold that day, and the wind wasn't blocked by any buildings, so we could really feel it!

We ended our walk in the park at the American Museum of Natural History.  We walked in, looked at a map, and headed right to the top floor with all of the dinosaurs!  It was so awesome!  The pictures just can't do any of it justice.







Thursday night was when we had the tickets for Wicked.  The show was so great.  Josh agreed that the show was wonderful, but it has not convinced him to see every musical that comes to town.  He believes that this show is an exception to the rule!

On Friday we went to the 9/11 Memorial for a bit.  It was pretty crazy to stand there in a wide open space knowing what used to be there and why it all changed.  We were both hoping the museum would be open by the time we got there, but unfortunately it wasn't.

Our next stop was Wall Street and the New York Stock Exchange.  We figured it was worth a shot, but it turns out you can't actually go inside anymore.


To our surprise, the Charging Bull isn't located right on Wall Street, but rather down the street near Battery Park.

After we warmed up in a pizza shop we walked down the street to get on the Staten Island Ferry.  The boat is HUGE!!!!  And it took us right by the Statue of Liberty.



The Brooklyn Bridge!

We spent the rest of the day wondering around town and we even went to the movies!  It was about this time on our trip, with all of our random stops for sight seeing that Josh caught on to the mini Gossip Girl tour I was taking us on!  The tour brought us to Grand Central Station (twice!).  The place was just like it looks on TV.  I could almost picture Serena there!

On Friday afternoon and Saturday we just walked around the city to see what there was to see.  We stopped into Toy's R Us.  It is the biggest of there stores.  They had more toys than you could imagine and so many awesome displays.  They even have a ferris wheel right in the store, with the coolest cars I have ever seen!






The timing of our trip was a week before the Super Bowl was going to be in town.  We saw the Fox Sports booth right in Time Square and were able to see them filming there.

It was an amazing trip.  I don't think it would have been possible to have had a better time, even though we were freezing cold 90% of the time!  Thanks for the great gift Josh!

No comments:

Post a Comment